Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need examples of welded products that maintain airtight/hermetic seal for 15+ years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anders74

Mechanical
Oct 18, 2018
US
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some proof that thin stainless steel (8-15mils) can be welded to contain a vacuum seal for 15+ years with minimal pressure change. Some products I found are vacuum insulated panels, vacuum insulated pipes, vacuum insulated food containers, and hermetically sealed electronics packaging. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The "longest stored" (although in a clean area with nitrogen pressure applied to eliminate moisture and contaminants) very thin pressure vessels I'm aware are the 30 thousand thick NASA moon rocket RP, LOX and LH2 fuel tanks and stages and their engines. Built 65-66-67-68 time period, kept until launch in the mid-70's.

Not sure about the lifetimes, but there are millions of vacuum Dewars for military infrared detectors that probably are good for at least 10 years. They're typically soldered for the detector window, pumped down, and then the copper vacuum nipple is pinched off.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Thanks, folks! In case anyone is interested, I turned up a few others: welded metal bellows (leak rates < 1e-9), cryogenic dewars storage containers for liquid nitrogen, and lots of medical products in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back