Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help Analyzing Micrographs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxracer17788

Materials
Jul 11, 2012
US
Hi All,

We had two lots of fasteners come in and we did a maximum bend angle on them as usual. One lot (Sample 2012/5/16) was capable of bending the 30 deg. requirement and well beyond in some cases. The other lot (Sample 2012/4/25) was consistently cracking prematurely. Both have a core of 42HRC and a case of 50HRC @ 0.002". The samples were etched with Nital, and sample 2012/4/25 shows about a 0.0008" decarb. on the surface. I'm not a materials engineer so I would appreciate any help in analyzing the attached micrographs. I have a few questions...what are the large spherical black dots in the core and shank micrographs of sample 2012/5/16 and why are these not present in the other sample? I'm assuming that the cracking sample had a heavily decarburized surface prior to heat treatment, and this is why it did not quench fully, but I dont understand how this could lead to premature cracking. One thing i'm confused about is that sample 5/16 has a carbon enriched surface of 0.005" while the cracking sample has a carbon enriched surface of 0.010" but it was supposedly heavily decarburized beforehand? Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm sorry it's 1022 steel. And we achieve a core hardness of 42 HRC because the fasteners have a small diameter (0.120") and they are carburized. Essentially they are through hardened but the case is made even harder than the core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back