Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help for a beginner regarding heat exhanger design 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

junumon

Mechanical
Feb 2, 2003
KW
Dear Members,
I am a mechanical engineer working in a company manufacturing AC condensor coils and oil coolers. Now company is planning to enter in HX design too.
Can some body tell me what are all the softwares needed. Is pro E sufficient as far as the mechanical design is concerned. Which s/w i need to buy for thermal design?

Can anybody send me a sample design problem so that i will get more idea about the various factors to be considered during calculation of overall heat transfer coefficient?

My practical xperience is negligible. I really need help from u people
Thanking u all
junu

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As a start get hold of the Chemical Engineering Guide to Heat Transfer, two soft-bound volumes by McGraw Hill. It includes Vol I: Plant Principles, and Vol II: Equipment, both with a large number of short articles written by experts in the field.

There are two good softwares, I can recommend
1) HTRI (Heat transfer research Inc..)
2)TEMA ( they have one specific for vibration analysis, quite easy to work wih)

If you buy HTRI, they will give quite a lot process theory, etc..., but it is for hardcore design.

Others are
ProII from SIMSCI, simulation sciences,
HTFS, heat transfer and fluid flow (check the name, remove one of the two F:.... words) system..

This is what is commonly used, by designers and heat exchanger performance analysing peoples.

HTC (heat transfer consulatants) also make a good shell and tube and air condensor program. The copy I used was several years ago and wasn't the most user friendly, that's likely changed.

Bijac is another one I've seen, I believe it's more aimed at the mechanical side of shell and tube design rather than the thermal but don't quote me on that. That was a while ago and it may well have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back