Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help how to calculate dirt factor using Kern Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

miftahazhar

Mechanical
Nov 4, 2018
ID
I have problem when calculated dirt factor using Kern Method. From Kern Method we will get calculated dirt factor using formula (Uc-Ud)/(Uc*Ud) and allowable dirt factor from TEMA table. My question is, at what condition the heat exchanger need to be cleaned. is it if the calculated dirt factor > or < allowable dirt factor.

I've read Kern Process Heat Transfer. First he said that if calculated dirt factor> allowable dirt factor, heat exchanger need to be cleaned. At first I okay with it. But then I looked at his example, his example result is calculated dirt factor< allowable one but he said that the heat exchanger is satisfactory. Then at part 11 Calculation for process condition/ design of heat exchanger, in the example, kern said that if we design heat exchanger, calculated dirt factor must exceed allowable dirt factor.

That things make me really confused. So, in the rating problem (decision whether heat exchanger need to be cleaned) calculated dirt factor must greater or lower than allowable dirt factor ? Thank you very much

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c550d65a-a93e-4d86-a08e-1de28b602d8d&file=kern.png
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back