Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need help in quenching problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

seepratik

Mechanical
May 29, 2013
US
Hi everybody,

I am a new member here joined today and would like to seek your help for my research.

I need to model a quenching work to find some values similar to a resarch paper. But I dont now how to use abaqus very efficiently. Can any of you help me how to model the quenching work? I would be grateful to him or her. I will explain the details of my problem if any body can assist me.

thanks
Pratik Sarker

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

start with (in benchmark manual)
1.6.4 Quenching of an infinite plate
Then ask a specific question on what you don't understand/is not working the way you expect

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have already gone through it before mailing my post in this group but could not understand some points. I am explaining below:

The paper with with I am working says that,they at first did the heat transfer analysis and found a temperatute time profile and then they went for structural analysis and made the previous temperature time profile as the input for the second step. The boundary conditions are: the solid will be inside a fluid domain of hydrogen with a surrounding pressure of 15 bar with a incoming velocity of 21 m/s. The initial temperatures of hydrogen are 25 degree C and for solid 900 degree C. My question is:

1) If I go for heat transfer analysis first, then how can I set the convective heat transfer coefficient?
2) If I do the same way as described in the paper, in which step I should apply the velocity boundary conditions or pressures(heat transfer or structural)? Also in which step I should fix the end of solid as a boundary condition?
3) How can I give the temperature time profile from the first step as an input in the second step?

I modeled it of my own, as only heat transfer step by just creating a predefined fields of the above temperatures for solid and fluid, but after running, I saw that the NT11 temperatures for the solid remain same(blue) color throught the body and from that I think that I have some mistakes in the heat transfer analysis.In the quenching example in abaqus, there are some inp files, I downloaded each of them and I did not find any valuable information from that which procedure they followed and how they set values for different step analysis. Thats why, I need your help.

Thanking you
Pratik Sarker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back