Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help In Technical Report 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nad87

Chemical
Mar 26, 2020
QA
Hello,
Dears Our RO plant is working for more than 5 years now and we need to check spare parts and replacement for the majority of parts. I searched for these parts and I prepared quotation for.
I should prepare now a technical report to convince the client that we need to replace some items urgently and have spare for others.
Any one can help how to prepare such a report and if there is any template or example to follow.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

the best thing is to identify why client is using RO & what process upsets will take place if RO under-performs. Then you can leverage your maintenance costs against client (damages) because of process upsets

I should prepare now a technical report to convince the client that we need to replace some items urgently and have spare for others.

Do you actually have a "spare parts list" or "spare parts program" for all of the other equipment in your plant ?

Does the list identify the parts that are mission critical (if it breaks, the plant shuts down) and those that are recommended for normal maintenance ?

A normal modern plant would have some type of list or program that explains this ...

It sounds like this is your first engineering job and you were thrown into a situation that is impossible ...

Does the plant have "new owners" and consequently, all records, manuals and paperwork have been recently thrown out ?

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Well there are many ways and formats for this.

ONe could be something like an excel sheet with all your items listed in one column

Then a column listing number of spares, another listing criticality of the item (so say 1 for if it breaks the RO plant stops working down to 5 for No impact / cosmetic
Maybe a column for anticiapted life and time since last replacement (never?)
Then how many days / weeks to source replacement

Then a column identifying recommended number of spares for each item.

Then write a covering report detailing those items which, in your opinion, need critical spares to be procured NOW to give you the ability to replace and get the plant back running within xx hours
Then those which the manufacturer recomends are changed very xx months and now need replacement or are due for replacement soon and you need to order some spares.

Then how much each one costs.

Just don't expect the to buy it all in one go so rank the key items first then stage the order over a few months.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back