Need help in understanding "drilling and tapping" hole specification

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechEngineer2012

Mechanical
Feb 8, 2017
US
Hello All,

I kindly request your review of the attached drawing and appreciate your assistance in answering the following questions related to 2" 300 pound flange:

[ul]
[li]Could you provide the depth specifications for the threads and the through straight hole?[/li]
[li]What is the significance of the notation "60-90 degrees" and which specific angle does it represent?[/li]
[li]Please clarify the meaning of "opposite sides" in the context of the drawing.[/li]
[/ul]

Note 6 on drawing : NPT threads per 1.20.0& units are in inches.

Thank you in advance.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5c6d18fa-843e-4b1a-9ca8-bd6812cadee5&file=Screenshot_2024-03-01_110210.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It’s not a good call out on the drawing. It’s open to interpretation and that’s never a good thing.

It’s asking for a through hole, tapped from the opposite side as drawn. The person that drew it should have added another view to provide clarity.

They are asking for a chamfer and the depth is specific but the angle can be between 60 and 90 degrees.

Again, the requirement is to tap the hole from the opposite side. Lazy drawing in my opinion.

Screenshot_2024-03-01_110210_zmzqnl.jpg

FAR SIDE is the usual term to indicate that the thread and the chamfer are on the far side of the part when it is oriented as it is in that view.

The chamfer has limit tolerances to the angle, so any included angle from 60 to 90 degrees. It doesn't have a depth, simply the diameter of the material to be removed at the face of the part. There should be a general tolerance somewhere that controls the allowable diameter variation.

National Pipe Threads have their own specification that should supply all thread information. There are plenty of on-line resources to give that information.

0.500-14 NPT dimensions, (the callout per NPT should be 1/2-14NPT)

The through hole goes all the way through - there is no depth limit on it.

Dear All:

I want to express my sincere gratitude to everyone who responded to my post. Your input has been incredibly valuable, and I am genuinely thankful for the knowledge and insights you've shared. Once again, thank you all for your contributions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back