Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help interpreting BAC finish codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebug

Aerospace
Sep 27, 2007
US
Hello gentlemen. I need some help.

I recently change employers and have come to realize that the way my previous employer taught me to interpret BAC finish codes might not have been correct.

Both employers are DoD contractors and this question applies to DoD work only. Aicraft owned by the DoD and not new manufacture for Boeing.

If you take a look at any BAC finish code...say F3.20 for example. It says...

Anodize in accordance with MIL-M-45202, Type II, Class A, Grade 1 or Class D or chemical treat in accordance with MIL-M-3171, Type III. (Boeing application use: MIL-M-45202, Type II, Class A, Grade 1 or Class D or BAC5734 for anodize, MIL-M3171, Type III or BAC5609 for chemical treatment.)

In this example, the section "Boeing application use:" section is very similar to the previous information; but on others it is very different.

I was taught that only parts that were for new Boeing Manufacture used the section labled "Boeing application use:"

My question to you is...what is the correct way to interpret these codes?

I thank you for any light you can shed on this topic.

Rob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would agree completely if the contract actually addressed this.

This particular contract is for an assembly and does not address anything to do with the detail components within the assembly.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back