Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help Recognizing an Equation for Slot Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdgeotech

Geotechnical
Sep 7, 2006
US
I have been given an excel file to use as a calculation tool for slot-cut stability. I've gone through the equations to make sure I understand how to use the tool, and there is an equation that I don't understand that is for the resistance generated along the sides of the assumed failure wedge.

The equation is: Area of the side of the failure wedge * 1/3 * gamma * Height of slot * Ko * tan phi + C

I cannot recognize the equation to be able to verify it / look it up in a textbook. Am I dealing with a typo, or does anyone recognize the equation and can provide a reference it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello
First of all i never heard of a slot cut excavation , its probably a language issue here since i am not American .
Anyway, your equation seems to say that the resistance to instability is function of the degree of consolidation as well as shear strength ; but i am also puzzeled that the its proportional to the height which is not consistent with reality .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back