Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help w/References for Geo PE Afternoon 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike00

Civil/Environmental
Jun 19, 2004
US
hello,

I just got my results back from the April 2004 PE, I did Geotech in the afternoon. I got a 67 overall, but my foundation and retaining wall scores were very disappointing.

I do not have any references for the Geotech part, just the Lindberg reference book.

Can anyone recommed good Geotech references that I can use to study and prepare for the Oct 29th exam???

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The most valuable reference book I used (eons ago) when I took the PE exam was Foundation Analysis and Design, 1968, 1st Edition, by Joseph E. Bowles. This book uses Imperial (English) units. His newer editions use some or all metric units.

Some people in these forums ("fora" for Focht3) dislike Bowles' texts but they do cover a lot of practical material. Bowles' 1968 text is still my most used reference even though I also have his 1988, 4th Edition and many, many, newer, reference books.

A note about Lindberg's study books: When my daughter studied for the PE test, she bought Lindberg's book. She and I both had trouble calculating many of the "correct" answers listed by Lindberg. After much frustration, we discovered that Lindberg had published errata sheets which were not sent to her when she ordered the book. After she got the errata sheets, we found out that we both weren't as dumb as we thought. So, if you buy any study reference, check if there are any errata sheets available.

Good luck next time. You are close!

I found the most practical books to be by Das, Cernica, and McCarthy. If you can, purchase the solutions manual thru ebay or amazon its worth a min 3pts. Also get a copy of NAVFAC DM-7. Good Luck.

Dear Mike00:

In my humble opinion the "best" geotechnical trext for supporting your attempt at the PE exam is "Geotechnical Engineering Analysis and Evaluation" by Roy E. Hunt; published by McGraw-Hill in 1986. You will find excellent written text explaining ewach element of geotechnical engineering, formulae, and worked examples. It really doesn't get any better that this.

Good Luck next time.

The two most helpful texts after the Lindeburg Manual were "Foundation Engineering" 4th Edition and Principles of Geotechnical Engineering" Third Edition. Both were written by Das.

I had the NAVFAC manuals with me for the test, but did not need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back