Need help with increasing poly count of 3D model

Status
Not open for further replies.

Channo

Mechanical
Jul 25, 2023
IN
Hello all,

Recently, my organization is trying to make a animation video of our products to be in our website.
The guy who does animations is asking for 3D model with a high poly count(4 faces). He says that the model I've provided is only triangulated(3 faces).

Is there any way to change my models to high poly count?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

STEP and other 3D model types like Parasolid, IGES, and ACIS you cannot make changes like that too.

Honestly, I do not see any way to save a SW part\assembly file to an .obj file type.

Have you tried saving to an STL? You can adjust the options for that file type

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Mechanical Engineer
Ciholas

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

.stl is triangles only.

All solutions to this problem seem to require some task specific software; there are many claiming to do this job turned up in on-line searches.

Most downstream users want a low polygon count; animation software usually comes with subdivision surfacing that allows smoothing of surfaces from lower polygon geometry and can be applied on sub-regions.

What software is the animator using?

I do have a soft spot for Blender. Rescued from oblivion, it started out as a proprietary product and was going to be put into the trash. A search should turn up the amazing behind-the-scenes history.

Blender has no trouble with triangles. I'm a bit confused as to why that would be a problem. See for import capabilities.

One trouble that anything but triangles can get into is ending up with non-planar polygons which won't break Blender, but may not render correctly. Blender certainly supports subdivision operators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back