Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need ideas for a ARCH bridge of reinforced concrete !

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannywanny

Civil/Environmental
Dec 20, 2001
US
Hello-I am trying to come up with design details for single span ARCH BRIDGE, constructed of steel reinforced concrete. 40'span X 5' rise X 15' width. The trouble is; I don't have any blueprints/plans that shows the necessary details, and I don't know where to find any. I would like to use a span:rise ratio of 8:1 for the arc of the arch. A load rating of HS-20-44, without cover/fill over the deck of the arch. Arch hinged at the abutments/footer, as opposed to being integrated/continuous with the abutment/footer. I would like to pour the reinforced concrete slab (arch shaped) in such a way that it will support its load without benefit of any fill cover, altho I will use some fill to level out bridge. Does anyone have any ideas on:.... how deep the concr. slab for the arch shape should be. ( 8" enuf?)..... Rebar- roughly what size rebar needs to be used, and what spacing for rebar in the the matt do you suggest. Also, please specify if I will need to use one, or two, (top/bottom) rebar matts in the concrete. ..... SPAN:RISE RATIO--- is the 8:1 ratio capable of acting like a arch for this bridge application ? ... esp. with the use of the reinforcing steel. I could go to a 4:1 ratio if necessary. (note- a 2:1 ratio arch is a circle divided in half). ...... Lastly, I would like anyone to recommend a good book/manual on the construction of reinforced concrete Arch bridges, of short span; if they know of one. Especially a book/manual that focuses on the specifics of the actual construction of the arch, with detail drawings; and not on theory and mathematical equations alone. thanks in advance for your help, Dan.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are many good books on arches; unfortunately they are all old. The youngest is probably circa 1950. Check out this website for great deals on out-of-print books: Check for concrete arches and also by authors Hool and Kinne as they published a number of references in a series back in the 20s and 30s.

You're questions are otherwise to specific to answer here.

Good Luck!

Q-shake:
I thot that this _was_ the place to get technical! ....... oh well. ... on my own again.
I did use your advice about doing a search of on-line book stores. I used <powells>, also <alibris> <abebooks> <bibliofind> <amazon@zshops> <half.com> .
The descriptions of the contents of the books they sell are almost non-existant..... If the title don't describe the book, then your lost !!!
But I did get 3 books on arch bridge design:
(1) 1954, Manning; &quot;Reinf. Concrete Arch Design.&quot; 2nd ed. @ $30
(2) 1957, Fairhurst: &quot; ARCH DESIGN SIMPLIFIED&quot; @ $30
(3) 1931, McCullough, &quot;ELASTIC ARCH BRIDGES&quot; , @$19

........ I couldn't find any book by Hoole & KInne specific to Arch Bridges , that I could recognize.
......... I will see what the books say, if they arrive.
thanks for your advice....... dan

DAN

You probably dealing with the Luten Arch, once I've seen the original plans for 50 arch by Luten itself, the arch was 12 inches reinforced with 1&quot; square bars spaced at 12 inches. Over the years thousands of these arches were demolished and dozens retrofited. The arch concrete quality sometimes awful, the ingridients were taken directly from the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back