Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need proof API 5L Double Submerged Arc Weld (DSAW) Exceeds the welding standards of API 2B in PIPE

Status
Not open for further replies.

APIpipeWholesaler

Materials
Jul 26, 2012
US
Hello Everyone,

Have a huge project calling for us to use floor stock inventory. The project calls for API 5L X52 PSL2 EN10204 Cert 3.2 with API 2B

The company is willing to allow us to use independent inspectors to meet the 3.2.

The MTR's that do not state API 2B we are going to certify the physical characteristics via inspection.

What they are asking is for us to prove the weld procedures of the API pipe without the 2B designation, meets or exceeds 2B weld spec D1.1 that is called out in the spec.

I see nothing in API 5L designating a "weld procedure" only weld testing.

The world knows API 5L far exceeds API 2B but I am seeking proof.

As always, thank you in advance,

-=Fred=-

Vass Pipe API Line Pipe Industry Leader

People do what you inspect, not expect!

If you are going to recertify, which should include NDT (but that seems to get forgotten by most), then simply destructively test to meet both API Spec 5L and D1.1 requirements.

APIpipeWholesaler said:
I see nothing in API 5L designating a "weld procedure" only weld testing

Annex B, B.3, e), 3), ii)/4) if invoked by 7.2 c), 43 (which probably won't have happened for stock material)

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

Thank you SJones, here is/was the outcome.

Industry standard when it comes to API 5L carrying the 2B cert from the mill, simply states, "Roundness and Straightness accordance to API 2B"
and NOT to "API 2B" whole specification.

Once Customer realized and was told this fact they backed off requiring proof of the welds meeting D1.1 and us only verifying 2B roundness and straightness.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Thank you,

-=Fred=-

Vass Pipe API Line Pipe Industry Leader

People do what you inspect, not expect!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back