Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need recomendation for plastic that an be bolded with 1/4" wall thickness

Status
Not open for further replies.

leekiefer

Mechanical
Jan 20, 2016
US
I have a part that we would like injection molded, however the current design of the part has a 1/4" wall thickness all over. Can anyone recommend a type of plastic that can be successfully molded up to 1/4" wall? It has to be durable as it will be used outside in the construction industry. My only other option is to redesign the part with thinner walls.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your best option is to redesign for thinner wall. Not only will you reduce the cost of material, the part cost will be substantially less due to the reduction in cycle time gained. Plastic is not cheap contrary to general opinion.
A material very suitable for use outdoors is ASA. It's a bit like ABS without the Butadiene impact modifier which is hopeless outdoors.

Cheers

Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement.

Pud,
Thanks for your advice. I tend to agree that redesign for thin wall is the best option. This is most likely what I will do. This is just one of those situations where I have to exhaust every option before making a major design change. Thanks for the recommendation on material. I will look into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back