Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need Recommendations for PDM, small company running SolidWorks 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandrill22

Mechanical
Jul 30, 2010
US
I'm looking for recommendations. We are a small medical device company running SolidWorks 2019. We need to manage drawings, parts, and assemblies, check in, check out, manage our drawing approval process, so on. It's pretty simple, but I've only worked at large corporations. I would like to be able to tie test and manufacturing documentation to the SLDPRT, SLDASM, SLDDRW, along with quotes, but that is not an ABSOLUTE requirement.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Windchill sucked when I used it at Berry Plastics. While I was at Berry we switched over the PDM Enterprise the full version and it was waaaaaaay easier to use than Windchill for a lot less cost.

Since Berry, I have just use PDM standard and it's just as easy, with fewer options. It just means I have to do a few things more manual than automatic. the Standard does revisioning, has a workflow (Max 10 states and 1 workflow), user\user groups, permissions, etc...

Here is our workflow
Workflow_ghhayb.jpg

I work for a small company myself and we only own 1 seat of SW so I am practically the only person in it besides my manager. So I have a bit of an advantage but it still works great and there are no issues... it's far easier than Windchill. Windchill is over complicated a lot like Pro-E is.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

We use PDM PRO and barely scratch the surface of its capabilities. We transitioned from Workgroup PDM when it was killed back in 2017.

That is a pretty crazy workflow. Could split your ECN off as a separate workflow if you wanted so you could use it on other file types? I did this but now sure if it is possible with PRM Standard.

Might not be an issue for you but I also built in some transitions that are only available to admins to go in and fix something. We sometimes have problems with Revision tables not getting filled in correctly by the system so will end up with a black description. It seems to be a problem for files that were previously in the old vault system and moved into the new vault. I probably did not transition them from the legacy area of the volt to the area that is for active products. As admin I can move a part to In Work without going through the ECN process and I can also release it without changing the revision.

We have the system automatically make PDF's of any drawings when the drawing/component is released. We use the PDF's to share drawings and documents with our contract manufacturers.

We also use PDM Pro to assign part numbers for us when generating a new part.

GRF,

You are in Pro you can do that, not with Standard it's one workflow and thats it. So that is why it's so complex, but its really easy to use, just have to know where you are going.

As I said I am using Standard and I am the admin, and I have never had any issues with Revisions not working properly. It sounds like its a setup issue or an OE error. It also could be a template issue. If you have not updated your old templates with the new one then that is probably where the issue is at.

Because you are using Pro you get all the advantages of Automatically doing whatever.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back