Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Solvent for Methacrylate 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

gciriani

Materials
May 5, 2004
IT
In our production process, we wash stainless steel parts, protected with hair spray in a previous step. We have difficulty cleaning this hair spray, which contains Methacrylate. Sometimes it won't come off during the bath, but it comes off easily by hand cleaning with q-tips or soft cloth.

I'm looking for an effective solvent of the ingredients contained in the hair spray: Dimethyl ether, Isopropyl alcohol, water, PVP/PA copolymer, Octylacrylamide/acrylates/butylaminoethyl methacrylate copolymer, Panthenol, Aminomethyl propanol, perfume,Sodium benzoate, cyclopentasiloxane, Benzophenone-4, Phenylbenzimidazole sulfonic acid, PEG-7 glyceryl cocoate, Cyclomethicone.

The washing machine is very sophisticated: Water+detergent with Ultrasonic generator, rinsing in tap water, rinsing in demineralized water, dip in water absorbing solvent, dip in degreasing solvent, dip in HFE. We believe that the hair spray should come off in the first water+detergent bath, but it doesn't, nor it does later. Somebody hypothesized that since we are not using the right detergent in the first bath, the solvents at the end of the cycle may have the effect of further fixing our contaminant.

Don't ask me to change the hair spray, because we akready have found a substitute that goes away. Unfortunately we have the rest of the production already with this hair spray, and need to get clean it. Thanks for any suggestion to the right solvent.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use ethyl acetate to clean our machines that are used for MMA and EMA filling (methyl methacrylate and ethyl methacrylate). It is very effective.

Acetone works really well too, and the fail safe, but with other environmental concerns is Methl ethyl ketone.

I hope that helps.

Get with your chemical supplier and discuss with him the addition of MonoEthanolAmine (MEA) to his detergent composition. This was a good solublizer for all types of hair sprays for a number of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back