Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need some insight for a custom cycle to drive a Heule back spotfacing tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franklin M.

Aerospace
Jan 20, 2018
US
Here's my need : create motion for the tool in the title. I would like it to operate the same as a drill cycle, i.e. pick points, input variable data for depths etc.

The Heule is a coolant pressure operated retractable inserted back spotfacing tool.

Motion sequence would be : position to a hole or point, stop the spindle, turn on high pressure thru the tool coolant (retracts the insert), advance the tool through the hole, turn off the coolant, spin up the spindle to a high rpm to deploy the insert, reduce the rpm to the desired cut speed, feed in the out direction at a cutting feed rate while using standard coolant, dwell, retract in opposite direction, turn off the spindle, turn on high pressure coolant, retract to the starting point. Many of these parameters would require variable input data.

What would be a good method to accomplish this? In the APT days (what's that!) you could do it with a macro. I tried sequential milling but that's problematic, the motion is a pain to move from hole to hole and our posts don't like to move with the spindle off (don't want to alter the posts). I also tried generic motion but I'm having many of the issues.

I ran across the NXopen option, I down loaded a "getting started" manual, it looks like a possibility.

'Nuff said, what are your learned opinions. Do you know of an existing solution, are you interested in creating a solution. All opinions welcomed.

Thanks.
Regards, Frank

Franklin
UG 10,13 & 18
NX 1,2,4,6,11 & 12
NCL502 (yep I love Sequential Mill)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back