Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need source for black plastic pipe/tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjellin

Mechanical
Jun 4, 2001
US
Specifically I'm looking for a source for the black plastic pipe that are used to cover the lifting columns (gas cylinders) on adjustable height office chairs. That's right, you can probably take a quick peek between your legs and see an example right now!! They are usually two or three pieces set up to telescope into one another.

I'm guessing is a carbon filled nylon? My knowledge of plastics is limited so thats only a guess.

What I would ultimately like is to find an off the shelf/stock supplier. I need the I.D. to be a minimum of 2.04" and OD around 2.25 (od is insignifigant). I don't need it to telescope, and I can cut it to length.

The part will be used just like it is in a chair (covering a liftting column), but the product is a special tool stand and not a chair. This is low quantity (like 10) so making a mould or extrusion set up is not practical.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jason

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you buy something like gas or water pipe and cut it to length.

George Fischer makes both Nylon and PE pipes for gas. however I do not know if it is available in the Dia. and wall you require.

Failing that an engineering plastics semi finished good supplier could supply bar-stock or very thick wall pipe for you to machine.

I cannot begin to guess who supplies in your area as I have no idea where you are.

Regards
pat pprimmer@acay.com.au
eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Names that spring to mind with multinational distribution are Urta (Erta) and GE and maybe Solidur or Cadillac Plastics.

Regards
pat pprimmer@acay.com.au
eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back