Need suggestions on locking mechanism

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesEngineer4

Mechanical
Feb 19, 2013
IN
Hello,

Glass Material: Quartz Glass (Transparent)
Black Part Material: Black Anodized AL 6061

I'm working on a concept where I need to Mount a glass block on Aluminum block. Initially, I tried using screws but glass component was breaking while inserting the screw thread. Is there any other way to mount Glass part on black part? I'm free to modify black part in any form but cant touch the top surface of Glass part which is Mirror Finish. I have attached sample models.

Your suggestions/help are greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and support.

Thanks & Regards,
Sam

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2c9ca212-de75-451e-a5db-03eb596ac650&file=Sample.zip
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Adhesive.
Range of selection from great 3M double stick tapes, to silicone, to higher strength.
The beauty of an adhesive is that you get a little cushion between the parts to make up for mismatch in surface, thermal expansion, and stiffness.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Pretty much all modern car windshields on cars are held on with 3M VHB double sided tape, or similar. 3M makes so many double-sided tapes it makes your head spin. And note that VHB, alone, has multiple versions; 4950 VHB is 400 oz/in adhesion on steel, compared to 5906 VHB, which only has 160 oz/in adhesion.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Quartz is a low thermal expansion material, aluminum is fairly high. The foam tape seems like a good material to bridge that gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back