Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need Ti-6Al-4V seamless tubing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dculp1

Mechanical
May 16, 2006
US
I need a small quantity (~ 1 m) of Ti-6Al-4V seamless tubing. The size would be near 1" schedule 40 (1.315" OD x 1.049" ID); the size could be somewhat smaller or larger.

I found a company that could supply this in Grade 2 but not Ti-6Al-4V. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Don Culp

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

aircraft hydraulic lines are cold finished seamless 6-4. It is in a high strength condition and much lighter wall that you want, but it is common.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Here is what EdStainless was referring to. You can get up to 1/2 the wall thickness of titanium pipe. If you find any one that carries anything close to your requirements make sure you give them a call.

The reason that the CP grades are readily available is that they are used in the chemical process industry were 6-4 is mainly a structural material where weight saving are important.

Unclesyd --

Despite their web sites, Alloy Metals and Snappy Metals no longer handle Ti tubing or pipe. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Don Culp

They orbital weld end fittings and have captive nuts. I believe that Allen Aircraft makes a lot of the fittings. We make the exact same size and strength tubing in stainless 21-6-9. It has the same pressure rating but it is used in locations that might be subject to damage. The 21-6-9 has much greater damage resistance. The SS doesn't use welded ends but a special collar system.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back