Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need to add cut-outs to a part with multiple part-copies 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

garmancm

Mechanical
Sep 1, 2016
US
I have an assembly from a vendor that I'm really only using for reference in one of my assemblies. For simplification purposes, I saved the assembly out as a step and then opened it as a part to put into my assembly.

It comes in as a part with lots of part copies. I need to add some cut-outs to various surfaces on it but cuts will ONLY work on one part copy that I select to be a design body. Creating the cut-outs in the assembly and re-saving isn't really an option because it changes too often and updating would be a pain and the assembly is too large for me to just use the assembly. Is there any way to create multiple design bodies so I can add cutouts to all of them, OR...

Is there a way to save my assembly down to ONE body feature? I tried creating a part copy from the assembly, which did create just 1 body feature, however lots of stuff was missing in the new body feature. Their assembly that I received also has some stuff that appears to have been translated and has part copies within it that I think may be the issue.

Please help! I'm in SE ST6.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can create additional bodies, a multi-body part, and then you can convert the remaining construction bodies into design bodies within each of those multi-bodies. (Sorry, that sounds very confusing, but it's the vernacular of the software).

Or, use Boolean Unite to join all of the construction bodies to the design body as a single unified body. This will work up to the point where one of the boolean unions creates a non-manifold body. At that point, you may have to alter the geometry (by like .01mm) to prevent the non-manifold condition.

--Scott
www.aerornd.com

Can you give me some steps on how to do that? This is what my tree looks like right now...

Capture_hguhlx.jpg

I have 22,000 part copies and 148 solid bodies under the Construction Bodies tab. If I right click a part copy I can create a base feature, but then it will only let me create one.

That is the first step. Create the initial Base Feature.

Now, use the Boolean feature to Union (or Unite) the remaining part copies to the Base Feature.
I think you can select more than 1 at a time, but I'd advise only doing a few at a time. That way, if there is an error, you can narrow down the culprit easier.

--Scott
www.aerornd.com

You could try "insert part copy" and select "merge solid bodies". That should reduce it to one body as long as there are no "non-manifold" errors.

You have the blue "i" icon on this file. Before working too much with the data you should optimize the file to get rid of the blue "i". Optimize will help reduce the likelihood of any downstream errors, especially if you are are going to be trying to merge or unite all of these bodies into a single body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back