Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to build reverse and forward motor with custom speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BhushanSethi

Computer
Oct 26, 2017
US
Hi,
I need a motor that can rotate forward and backward with speed I want. Basically, I want to pull a rope (with motor) about 6 inch in 1.6 seconds and release same about 6 inches in 0.8 seconds.
Sorry, if requirements sounds weird but this is for a project I am trying to make for daughter's therapy.

I believe I would need a motor, some timer chip and ropes. Can you please guide me where should i buy and what should i buy for this project.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How hard does it have to pull? Why does it have to rotate?

I would look at a linear actuator, a motor driver, and an Arduino to control the driver. You'll also need a suitable power supply and some way to mount motor.

OR, you could use a crank with a 3 inch radius, and a motor that can run at two speeds, but it doesn't need to reverse. It's possible that the load applied could slow the motor down a bit on the 'up' stroke, and the motor will naturally go faster on the 'down' stroke if the load is constant in direction and/or is removed for that part of the cycle. So, a motor that nominally rotates a full turn in 3.2 seconds, or 18.75 rpm. Motors don't go that slow easily, so a small gearmotor is indicated, with a small motor, size depending on load, which is so far unspecified.

The rope can have an eye and a thimble over the crank journal, and if the rope is long enough, you don't need a slider, just a few guides.

You have to be _really_ careful if this device contacts the patient.
You probably need a local engineer with some specific experience to guide you.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back