Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to convert drawings from MicroStation to AutoCad

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankreid

Mechanical
Mar 9, 2007
US
My customer has given me about 140 Microstation DGN files that need to be converted to Autocad DWG. I'm using full 2008 and LT 2009. They are fairly simple electronic schematic and table drawings. I'm using the LT 2009 built-in converter (file, import) which works very well, one-at-a-time, and it's fast.

I have searched all over the internet to find a BATCH converter and found many, some cheap ($30) and others expensive ($395). I don't mind spending the money for it but I've bought far too much software only to find it wouldn't work for MY application. I have to try it first, then I'll buy.

Most of the programs I tried (I downloaded five) did not have the batch process included in the download version. And for good reason. Someone like me would just download it and do all the conversions and never buy the software. But this is an ongoing need and I'll need to do this fairly often. I'll spend the money but I need to know, from a disinterested third party, of a program they know that does what I want.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Frank Reid
Reid Engineering Services

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi frankreid,

Since no one has chimed in on this, you didn't mention what version of AutoCAD you were using. If it's 2008 or later, you can just use the DGNIMPORT command. From there, you can probably create a script, AutoLISP, or VB/VBA program to automate it for you...

Sorry if that's no help
Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back