Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Need to create project with about 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

allina

Computer
May 16, 2002
US
Need to create project with about 15 different projects with a start time and end time for each project and to be able to look at the project at any time frame determine what project is taking place at any giving time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Allina,
I would recommend creating a ‘Resource Pool’ and attach your 15 projects to it. MS Project Help can guide you through how to establish this resource pool and attach your projects to it. Go to the answer wizard and ask it “How do you create a Resource Pool?”

Once you have the pool created and the projects attached, you can accomplish the goal you are seeking. When you open the ‘Resource Pool’ choose the 3rd option on the list to “Open resource pool read/write and all other sharer files into a new master file.” This master file will contain the projects you need.

With this many projects you are going to need a healthy PC with lots of RAM or it’s likely to crash.

Also, this Resource Pool has an issue creating what we call ‘multiple calendars’. It causes the pool to open extremely slow. You can tell if you have this issue with your pool by going to [Tools] [Organizer] then selecting the [Calendar] tab. If you have thousands of calendars in the box on the right you will need to delete them all except the one you are using, most likely the ‘Standard Calendar’. You will also need to delete them from the sharer projects.

My network support guys tell me that Microsoft has a fix for this, but I haven’t seen it yet. Maybe someone can help me with this???

Good Luck

Allina,

If you open all your projects then go to the Window drop down menu, select "New Window", in the pop-up box select all the projects you want to show together and the type of view you want (gannt, resource usage...etc) then hit OK, MSProject will show all the projects in the same view, and you can save this as your Master Project.

Hope this helps,

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back