Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Torque Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjellin

Mechanical
Jun 4, 2001
US
My company builds a machine that takes a small door (1 ft x 1 ft X 1 in thk) off of a small container (1 ft cube). The door has two key holes that have to be turned 90 degrees to unlock the door for removal.

The manufacturer of the container has asked us to add a torque sensor to measure the actual torque (I'm assuming peak torque) required when turning the locks. I need to add a torque sensor in-line with our key mechanism. We have a step motor and gearbox going direct to one key, and a belt connecting to the other key. Torque is at max 15 N-m per key. The 90 degree turn happens in about 1 second, and takes place once every 5 minutes.

Can anyone suggest a reliable low cost solution, for measuring and outputing peak torque?

Thanks,
Jason

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I worked on a bottle capping machine and the motor gear drive was just put in a spring collar with a prox sensor to detect a certain rotation that gave a known torque. If you can work out the indexing problem, the stepper motor should be very consistant at cogging/torque limiting by the amount of current supplied. Steppers are a love hate relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back