Need tutorial for working with ENVELOPES

Status
Not open for further replies.

BodyBagger

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2007
US
Hello all,
I think that using the envelope feature may help me with a project I am working on. I did read the SW help file on envelopes but I would probably understand it better with a step by step tutorial or video. I did check You Tube but the selection was very limited. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
BB

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Step 1.

In an assembly, and without beingin edit part mode. Click on INSERT then ENVELOPE. A flyout menu will appear and the choices are NEW or FROM FILE.

If you do not have a part modeled already that represent the space claim you wish to stake out with the envelope you would select NEW.

If you select new, it works the same way as inserting a new component into an assembly. It will prompt you to select a plane or a face that you wish to represent the "FRONT" plane of the new envelope. Once you select the face it will insert the new part in the feature manager but instead of the part symbol it will show an envelope icon. The envelope is inserted and you are now in a sketch. Create the sketch geometry you like and create a solid, either an extrude, or revolve. When you complete the feature the solid will appear as normal. When you exit the edit part mode the envelope feature will show transparent.

Thats pretty much it!

Happy Hunting

Regards,
Jon

An envelope is basically a component with some slight differences. Envelopes are not counted in mass properties. They do not show up in higher level assemblies or drawings. They must always be parts (no assemblies).

Additional capabilities of envelopes revolve around selecting items and creating configurations. I have never gone there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back