Needed Help on making surface from Solid

Status
Not open for further replies.

RathodAsit

Mechanical
Oct 9, 2015
IN
Dear All,

I needed to convert solid3D Sheetmetal parts/Assy to Surface Model for simulations, I needed Surface Assembly so I can apply the 2D Shell Element and run the Analysis for Different Material thickness?

I tried with Offset surface option to create mid plane surface, and then delete body command to delete the body, I left with the surface assembly, but surface are not connected to each other and there are open gap between surface assembly? See attached Image

1. How to join the surface with each other, so there it will connected to each other?
2. Is there any other option/Command I can directly created surface?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Asit

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=cb80b516-4df0-4ba9-92a3-6b903105b5b0&file=BASE_Surface.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've done this sort of thing. No single method will get you there.

Sometimes you just need to construct additional patches of surfaces and sew them together. Other times, it's better to over-extend surfaces and trim them back.

Offsetting is the simplest way, but sometimes it's better to extrude, sweep, or otherwise make surface bodies from scratch.

Also, you may need to use split line to create edges on faces where surfaces meet. This is to get a good bond for FEA.

Tick,
Yes To make a common edges between two surface is like a headeche..and same is the case for connect between two surface.

Thanks
ASit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back