Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Needs recommendation of flooring system for Truss pedestrian bridge???

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcu45

Structural
Jul 10, 2012
BH
Hi,

I will be designing a link bridge of 70 meters long,
Bridge frame will be of enclosed Warren truss.

It is 5 meters above ground and connecting between 2 buildings.
Width of the bridge is 2.5 meters.

For flooring i'm thinking of precast slabs divide and distribute the loads along each side frame of the truss.

I would like to get your recommendation? Any other better solution?

Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You haven't told us if it is boxed or if it is a pony truss.

Are you laterally bracing the bottom below the deck or relying on the precast? If the latter, how will you connect it.

At 70 meters, you should camber it for dead load.

Is this an enclosed or open to the weather bridge? Does the floor have to have a particular finish? If it is an open bridge, grating would be better.

Michael.
"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ~ Tim Minchin

Thanks Michael

it is boxed truss and it is enclosed as mentioned above.

There will be lateral bracing below the deck.

Sorry forgot to mention truss will be supported by one column in the middle.

Regards

Nothing wrong with precast panels. The type of deck for a ped bridge has more to do with functional use, constructibility, cost, and schedule.

Vibration due to live load is an important design consideration that shouldn't be overlooked.

Precast sounds good here, since you don't have to tie it in. You'll want to consider the topping concrete for dead load, and let it fill the end spaces so the slabs are secured in place within the steel structure.

To add one thing to the remarks about the trusses, consider how the erector will get the slabs in from one (or both) ends. I would want to set up a gantry that can run within the truss structure, so need a place to run the wheels, and need clearance. Or, maybe a temporary monorail above, susp from the top of your structure? Also need a place for workers to walk while the slabs are going in. Good time to get contractor buy-in to the whole scheme!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back