Negative pressure 30L barrel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicolag

Civil/Environmental
May 24, 2016
RW
Hi

I am designing systems for emptying latrines/toilets in Kigali (full thread on the problem here: and video of process here:
We pump the waste out from the underground pits using a vane pump to a 50L vacuum proof container- we then pour that into a 50L thin walled chemical container to carry to roadside transport (we only half fill so they can be carried).

I'd like to eliminate this pouring step and empty direct to barrels we can carry to the roadside. Barrels plus waste will need to remain <30kg for easy of carrying. Is there any way I can design a barrel that can withstand ~0.5-0.7 bar and still be convenient to carry to the road? Ok if its expensive - we have money for capital costs so we can import.

Nicola

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could look at adapting some kind of portable backpack sprayer
URL]

Obviously you don't need the pump - be it manual or powered - but the tank and backpack harness might be a good start.

There is obviously a difference between holding positive pressure and a vacuum, so you'd need to look more closely.

Or you could look at backpack wet & dry vac (vacuum) but again you don't need the pumps etc.

However, I have what I think is a better idea I'll post in your original thread.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back