Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NeiNastran for an MSC user?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeLiv

Mechanical
Aug 28, 2006
IL
Hi

I've read so much about NEINASTRAN, that I want to take it out for a spin. I'm mainly in the composite buisness, and I assue this means a seperate module...

can someone please post a tutoril for the composite module which covers it's capabilities? I assume the 300 node limited edition doesn't come with composite capabilities.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The noraneng.com site has lots of info on the capabilities of NEiNastran. Noran is usually very good about providing a full trial version of their software.

Thanks.

their representative has contacted me. I hope they will be able to give me the full version for eval.

going to run it thru hell and back :)

does the modeler have good meshing capabilities?

The modeler (Femap) is reasonably good, but like all meshers it has its quirks. There are a lot of options for controlling the mesh, so suggest you spend some time reading the relevant sections of the manuals, and try out a bunch of the options in some test models, both shells and solids. If you are dealing with composites, the biggest problem with Femap is that material coordinate system ids for Nastran are not supported; Femap converts material coordinate systems ids to angles when writing the Nastran data file.

I could be wrong but I think all modules of NEi Nastran contain composites. They do not license this seperately. Your sales person can probably help you there.

As for composites capabilities they seem to have it all. I took their 2 day training class and it was very helpful. There is an advanced drapping tool available which they sell seperately. You probably will not need it though.

hansm2,

if the module is similar to MSC laminate modeler, then I might need it..

I really hope femap doesn't mess up the directions and ply orientation, but I'll just wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back