Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nelson Stud Weld 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngDM

Structural
Aug 10, 2021
CA
Hello!

I was hoping someone may know the answer to this. I have seen the weld in the first screenshot below a few times now, but without the size of the fillet called up I'm not quite sure how it is prepared. I know for other types of welds size omission means CJP, but I don't believe that applies to fillet welds. Is the fillet weld "Stud weld" equivalent to the stud weld symbol in the second screenshot? For the life of me I can't find anywhere else that has a fillet weld called up for studs without the fillet size.

(Assume that the welds are prepared as per W59 etc etc).

1_jiau4w.png

2_q5hlle.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It likely is meant to be the stud welding and not a fillet, and the engineer either didn't know how to call it out or didn't have the symbol in their CAD library. I normally just point to studs and call them out as welded to the supporting steel. For what it's worth, I think the end weld is a fillet, or at least looks like one, so I think you're fine to take the correct ferrule for the stud dia. Stud catalogue below for ref.

canwesteng said:
For what it's worth, I think the end weld is a fillet, or at least looks like one
If welded with a stud gun it s a full penetration weld, not a fillet weld.

Minimum fillet weld sizes for studs per D1.1 are:
AWS_D1.1_Table_9.2_o68wn0.png

I believe they fillet welded it, and did not use the stud gun. I had sent them comments to use the stud gun, but it appears that they did it as a fillet anyways. Just not sure what size of fillet they would have used since it's not even a correct weld symbol.

I don't know about the requirements for studs used in building construction, but I'd be surprised if fillet welded studs would survive the testing per the bridge standards - a certain percentage of the studs have to be bent a minimum of 30 degrees with a sledge hammer, without breaking the welds.

D1.1 also has testing requirements that need to be performed whether it is fillet welded or welded with a stud gun:
D1.1_testing_requirements_quxkvu.jpg

If the project specifications follow/refer to D1.1, then the contractor has the option to use a fillet weld rather than a stud gun (no matter what the drawing may show):
D1.1_fillet_weld_option_zzrdtp.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back