Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

NEMA Enclosure Requirements for Spaces Protected by Fire Sprinkler Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM2

Mechanical
Oct 20, 2007
US
The NEC has requirements for electrical installations in normally "Damp" or "Wet" locations.

I'm trying to find out if NFPA 13 would require a space, that's normally not considered Damp or Wet (i.e. indoor) to use Weatherproof enclosures.

The system being installed is a watermist system per NPA 750 and I haven't found and requirement in either NFPA 13 or 750 other than signs needing to be weatherpoof.

Regards,
DM

"Real world Knowledge isn't dropped from a parachute in the sky but rather acquired in tiny increments from a variety of sources including panic and curiosity."

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Haven't ever seen or heard of such a requirement for the equipment to be designed water resistant (have been in fire protection engineering since 1970s). There is an exception in NFPA 13-2013 section 22.31 "National electrical Code" for dedicated electrical spaces to allow sprinkler piping "provided protection is installed to avoid damage to the electrical equipment from condensation, leaks, or breaks in such foreign systems." (referencing NEC 70:110.26(E)(1). The non-mandatory Appendix A.22.31.2.3 says "... but a shield needs to be installed in this case to protect the electrical equipment from potential leakage." Note the "dedicated electrical space" is a specific volume above the equipment, not the entire room.

A relevant item from NFPA 75 "Information technology Equipment" Appendix recommends emergency planning to include portable covers:
Screen_Shot_2022-11-22_at_9.02.36_AM_r67y9j.png

Outside of NFPA Codes, ABS MODU (Mobile Offshore Drilling Units) Rules require "evidence of suitability for use" of electrical or electronic equipment enclosures with protection lower than IP44 in areas affected by sprinklers or water mist systems.

If there is such a requirement for NEMA ratings I'll have to add it to ProSafFire app and ProSafPlant app for plant general inspections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back