Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEMA SM-23 criteria for external loads on Turbines/Compressors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mylexicon

Mechanical
Dec 16, 2005
US
I am calculating and checking the piping loads at nozzles of a 2 stage compressor which may also operate in parallel. Compressor assembly drawing shows a Low pressure and High pressure side (each with an Inlet & an Outlet nozzle) on either side of the Motor.
When checking the combined resultant forces and moments (according to NEMA SM-23, sect. 8.4.6)of nozzles about "the resolution" point (largest nozzle), can I treat the 1st(LP side) & 2nd(HP side)stages as separate compressor casings? OR the load components of all 4 nozzles need to be summed about "the resolution" point. FYI, magnetic coupling has been used to connect LP & HP sides of the compressor to the Motor. If couplings can be treated as a 'joint' in theory, then I would tend to treat each side of the compressor as a separate unit.
Am I totally off? can someone shed some light on this fuggy section of the NEMA code which is commonly applied to compressors as well.
thanks in advance,
drno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back