Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nest or negative for stamped part

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtharrett

Mechanical
Feb 28, 2008
US
Still running NX 7.5 with TC integration and came across a problem tring to make a nest for a stamped part. Basically, I would like to extrude a pocket into the lower rectangular block such that the bottom of the pocket has the profile of the stamped part. Is this possible with NX and if so, what tools would I use?

Or is it possible to copy the profile of the stamped shape and extrude a solid from it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What I would try is to make a linked or associative copy of your part.
Then using synchronous tools, remove the holes in part and the small blends on the outside corners. Then I would try and offset the outside edge (that is the wall thickness) of the part so the part is larger than your block.
Then use the underside faces of your part to trim away the block.
If you can upload the part and we can have a crack at it.

Anthony Galante
Technical Resource Coordinator

NX4.0.4MP10, NX5.0.6, NX6.0.5, NX7.0.1, NX7.5.0-> NX7.5.5 & NX8.0.0 -> NX8.0.1

If you do this sort of thing on a regular basis, you should seriously consider looking at our suite of tools for designing stamping dies. You can learn more about this at:

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Anthony,
Attached is the stamped part. I understand your workflow but am stuck on the last part (use the underside of the part to trim away the block). What tools / workflow would I use to do this?

John,
Good info. This is outside of what I normally do (hence all the questions regarding the workflow) but I will check with our MCAD group and see which licences are available.

Thanks

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a57c9cb9-3738-47a1-86a8-b45755a7929d&file=stamped_part.x_t
here's your part donein NX7.5. The block is just an approximate size, but it should give you an idea of what I wrote.

Anthony Galante
Technical Resource Coordinator

NX4.0.4MP10, NX5.0.6, NX6.0.5, NX7.0.1, NX7.5.0-> NX7.5.5 & NX8.0.0 -> NX8.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back