Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New be 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbush

Mechanical
Jun 30, 2016
US
Hello all. I've now been using for 2 weeks. not so far but in my mind it's just another cad system. just need to learn it. I have a background of 18 years working on another system. so I caught on fairly fast to this one. There's been a few like "WHAT THE ****" you can't put a note callout to a sideview?????????? WOW or threads not showing up in section view!!! there's more

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

And you will find that there are indeed ways to do what you want to. You just didn't discover them yet. For example, threads not showing up in a side view? That all goes back to the parameters you set when you created the cosmetic thread, and when you created the view.

Jboggs
I've search the web and tried what they suggested and still now go. were on 2016 and someone told me it's broke??? if you have a idea how to maybe fix it, please let me know

ctopher
I'm learning as I go. there not going to send me anywhere. but still, why can't you do a hole callout to a side view of a hole??? this basic from where I came from...lol

I thought you were talking about showing the cosmetic threads in the side view. There might be a way to call out threads in a side view (label them for import to the drawing?) but I don't know it. Most other things I've looked for I have found by right-clicking somewhere.

Im, searching for both. when you add a note to a drawing for side view of a thread for example. that note needs to change when the thread changes.

tbush,

Do yourself a huge favor and actually do go through the built-in SWX tutorials (Help -> SolidWorks Tutorials). You probably don't need them to know how to model, but you evidently DO need them in order to learn how to easily do things in SWX.

This software is VERY capable. There is extremely little that can be done in another software that cannot be done in SWX. In other words, if software can do it, more than likely SWX can as well, you just need to learn how. You should assume it can do what you want, then use the Help to figure it out. Sometimes when using Help you'll need to use a synonym for what you want, as the major softwares like to use different terms, i.e., Pro\E's Family Table is SWX' Design Table.

- - -Updraft

I've not seen this done, but here's how you can achieve this.
Use the button that adds a hole callout (looks like a c'bore diameter symbol).
Add the callout to the main view.
Ctrl+click on the callout and drag it to the side view.
This places the dim extension lines on the side view.
Copy the callout from the Dimension Text box in the Feature Manager of the main view.
Paste it into the Dim Text box of the side view.
You can delete the callout from the main view and it should update in the side view if it's ever revised.
Sylvia

good one felix7502. Still doesn't change the fact this should be as normal dimensions. but I'll take what I can get...thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back