Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

New comer question - what's next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Augflwer

Mechanical
Jan 7, 2005
US
Hi all: I am new here. I've read some interesting and helpful posts. I'd like to ask your opinions on my delima, your suggestions would be really appreciated.

I have a MS in Mech Engineering, I started in my current company as an engineer, but soon my job responsibilty changed to business process analysis/ project management (on software development to suit the business process). I've been with the company for 4 years, but never received any official training on PM. I really liked my job and have been putting my heart and soul into it. But some recent changes in the company made me think about what should be the next for me if I were to leave. What are the options out there and how likely I can find a different job? Most importantly, should I go back to Engineering, or continue to do project management?

Anyone has similar experience? For the ones who are currently in a Project management position, would you go back to be an engineer? Must I get some training on PM in order to find a new job in the field of PM? I looked at many PM opennings on the web, most of them are from consulting companies and require heavy travelling. I can't travel frequently due to personal reasons.

Any thoughts you can share? Many thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

the time to look for a job is when you don't need one[bigcheeks]

one the serious side, PM will only get you more PM @ a different location. it requires you to go where the current project is till it is finished and then go on to the next one.

good luck

Thank you EYEC for your kind reply. I guess I need to look hard for PM that will not require frequent travelling, or go back to Engineering.

Warm Regards

AugFlwer,

I would almost suggest that you reflect on what you enjoy more, planning the work and developing the plan or executing the individual tasks. I my self enjoy the project management aspects versus the engineeirng, but you may be a little different. I am involved in consulting and find that the varity of projects always makes it exciting and new, but travel can be a problem.

There are some Project Managment Resources that you can reference from PSMJ ( They offer some courses, but they are specific to A/E project management.

If you are open to moving, your oppurtunities will, of course, be greater, so start looking around now (locally or a little wider). You never know what you'll find. If you spend some time in the consulting industry as a PM and build up some good client relationships, then you might even be able to break off on your own. Maybe too far ahead, but just a thought. Keeps your eyes open, and know yourself, and you'll be fine.

Best Regards,

TSeener

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back