Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanled

Mechanical
Dec 7, 2003
Im looking to update my work computer to run solidworks better Ive got about £1000 to play with should I buy the components in and build my own or just buy a ready made system. Im running a P4 3000 1.5ghz memory some c**p motherboard and a wildcat vp760 grahics card, what would be the ideal spec to run solidworks?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't advocate building your own machine. There are just too many things that can go wrong, and then you have no warrantee. Plus, there are a lot of smaller machine builders who can give you what you want, test it, and be responsibile for everything working together.

I'm assuming that the 1.5 ghz is really referring to 1.5 Gb of RAM? and the 3000 is 3.0 GHz? That's not an entirely bad machine. If you're looking to upgrade, I would get an AMD X2 4800+, with 2 Gb RAM, and maybe an nVidia Quadro FX 3450, with a pair of RAID 0 striped drives.

I don't know if you get things from USA companies, but I would look first at Xi Computers ( Good stuff, and cheap prices.

I just bought a screaming system from Xi (again) that uses what I think is the fastest (and most expensive) single processor--dual-core AMD FX-60. Excellent performance, especially since I normally have 40+ processes running in the background (anti-virus, email, loads of useful freeware).

So SolidWorks doesn't make use of multiple process threading in the modeling (YET), but certainly does if you do renderings. Plus, it's good to have the other processor core to handle all the other things going on in the background, as I mentioned.

AMD has the best performance for the buck.

Xi Computers helps with that, putting together systems that work (this is the third workstation I've purchased from them) optimized to handle SolidWorks (CAD stuff).

Dell is nifty, too, but they have a hang-up about using AMD chips--stupid decision, since AMD has the best workstation processors per dollar (or pound) in the market. I think we'll see them change their mind soon. Otherwise, they seem to make solid computers. I don't really know anymore, since they've priced and gimmicked themselves out of my range for several years now. My AMD machines crunch benchmarks faster than any Intel dollar-equivalent I've ever seen.

Use a good motherboard. My old system uses an Asus SK8-V (old now), the new one some sort of MSI (maybe a gaming board--fast in/out throughput).

Get decent SATA (Serial ATA) drives. I use two, non-RAID, one backing up important stuff to the other overnight each night. Win XP Pro on each drive for quick recovery in case of drive melt-down or trojan/worm/virus infestation. Simply boot to the other drive if a tragedy occurs and you're up and running within the hour--minimal work time lost.

My new system originally came with Maxtor Diamonmax 10 SATA drives, 160 GB each. Big problems with those particular drives and motherboards using nForce4 chips--don't do this until things are straightened out. Maxtor has a link deep in their site about this now:

After telling Xi about these things (relatively obscure problem) they immediately sent me two replacement Western Digital Caviar drives, same size. They work great. (I called Xi Saturday afternoon and spoke with a real human.) Great service. I've never had a Western Digital or Seagate drive with a problem, so highly recommend those brands. (Of course Maxtor now belongs to Seagate--perhaps some changes are coming soon. ..)

I recommend 2GB of RAM. If you don't need it right now, you will this summer. Software improves and so do your skills, so you'll find you increasingly wait for a system to process stuff. You'll want to buy at least two years of time for a computer if you do work like I do (industrial design, tooling, rendering, production engineering, etc.) to get your money's worth. After that, I find it best to get a new system.

Don't skimp on the graphics card. You should probably get at least an nVidia Quadro FX-1400 (medium-end card) if you do complex curvy stuff, lots of parts, or lots of windows open while you work). This is the most important thing not to screw up in a new SolidWorks system. Check the SW site for card compatibility before getting anything.

Also, check reviews for hardware at Cadalyst to see what's good and what's not. Great source.

Get a large enough display. I have an antique 21" ViewSonic CRT that's still working great (plus it holds my desk down with 80 pounds). I prefer CRT color quality over LCD, but that will probably change with new technology within a year or two. I use 1280 x 1024 pixels.

Have fun with the new system!

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe trumps reason.

If you know what you're doing and enjoy computer hardware then building your own system can be fun. I've built a couple of systems to run SWx with no problems. But with companies like Xi and Dell that allow the average computer geek to build a turnkey screaming computer at a great price. It's really up to you. whatever you do make sure it has a Seagate harddrive....I have a hang-up on Seagate drives. [wink]

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success." - Henry Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back