Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

New Hire / Mentors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayoung802

Mechanical
Oct 1, 2008
US
Hi I've been reading a lot of posts, have done a little posting myself and have found this forum and its members to be very helpful. I graduated in May '07 with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and recently started a new job building boats in Seattle.

I came across an article on Training New Hires in the aerospace forum(thread2-153152) which brought up a lot of interesting points and shed some light on members frustration.

Without going into a lot of details about the article I can understand where the frustration comes from when you have a new hire. With all the cut backs due to the economy training classes on the job just isn't as common anymore. I was lucky to have an internship throughout college and gained some valuable mentors along the way.

So I guess the question I have is what can a person due to be a better new hire? I don't like to interrupt other engineers when they are busy or deep in thought, but sometimes it has to be done or my productivity will go down.

I moved from Colorado for this new job so my mentors are no longer easily accessible. I feel a mentor is a valuable resource and am curious if anyone has suggests about how to find one, knows of a website for mentors or if there is anyone in the Greater Seattle area that would be interested in being a mentor?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you asking for a mentor for basic engineering or job specific? With a degree the basics should be self-evident with job specifics to be learned.

In a specialized industry such as you are involved in one would have to look internally for help. In this day and time I don't think you will find anyone to hold your hand. You need to find someone in your establishment that is open to you bouncing questions off of every so often. In all cases you can't use a mentor as a tutor, so you do the basics design and then you check to see if there are any other approaches to the problem.
In ship building the design of the latest vessels is one of the best guidelines you can get. Get some design details and calculations and study and outline them for future use.

With the new computer tools the entry into shipbuilding is a lot less of a chore than a few years ago.

You may want to join a maritine organization in your area if it exist. Also check out ASME, you may see something that may be helpful.

1. Do some [more] research before asking a question.

In this case take a look in "Corporate Survival" area, especially these 2 forums.

How to Improve Myself to Get Ahead in My Work Forum
Overcoming Obstacles Getting My Work Done
There have been quite a few related posts before.

may even have something.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

I would say I'm looking more for a career mentor because even though I work at a boat building company I still do mechanical work, piping, hydraulics, engines, automation and so forth. I've been here a couple of months and when I do have a marine oriented question I know who I can go to. I also wouldn't say I want someone to hold my hand because the more critical work I do still gets reviewed. I would at times like someone external to the company and doing it the way the company has always done it, to bounce ideas off.

My appoligies KENAT I did not see that section, but will now be sure to go over there.

Thanks everyone

No need to appologize, my comment was tongue in cheek.

If you want someone out of your company then joining a relevant proffesional society as chicopee says may be good.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back