New Immigrant Electrical Engineer in USA (FE Exam-EIT vs Masters) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muhammad Ali

Electrical
Jul 12, 2018
US
Hi all,
I moved to US as an immigrant. I have BS Electrical Engineer Degree from abroad not from US. I have experience in designing and construction of Substations overseas but not in US.
I have applied for too many entry level positions but I didn't get any interview call. My question is that should I take FE Exam & get EIT. Will EIT be helpful in getting the job with foreign BS EE degree? or should I do Masters in Electrical Engineering to get my resume looked at? I'm not single, I have kids. Masters is a long route, if I do it part time, it will take almost 3 years to complete Masters. I don't need any sponsor from Employers. Please guide me. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Take the EIT, preferably the PE, and expect one/both to be a quality metric for your education. If you're good enough to pass the PE, resume reviewers will be prone to accept that you have likely cleared the minimally acceptable competency threshold. Second, take collegiate English courses covering grammar, US literature, and composition. To the degree that your communication effectiveness exceeds the norm, you will likely see results.

Contact your State licensing board about accepting your foreign degree. I've bene through that and that was the hardest part. Foreign degrees usually are not ABET accredited.

And yes, having an EIT shows that you are able to pass an 8-hour test and have fundamental engineering knowledge and have a chance to become a PE later. So that sets you apart from a candidate that doesn't have it. And the PE later obviously is also a sign you can pass another 8-hour test and you will be more useful to your employer.

If a Master's degree helps, sure. But if it is worth it? You have to decide. Ultimately you go to school to learn and know more. You do it for yourself. If you can, pursue both the PE and MS.

How many is "too many" in your view?

If you are not getting interviews, the lack of the letters "EIT", "ME" or "PE" on your resume are probably not the main reason.

There is no shortage of "experts" on the web that explain the modern application review processes used by companies.

To get interviews you need to adjust your resume and application to get through the automated scanners first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back