Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new laser vs. old laser

Status
Not open for further replies.

fab3

Industrial
Dec 4, 2008
US
This is just a curious question I have. Is the edge quality better on a newer laser compared to an old one? For example, is a well tuned resonator from the late eighties going to produce a cut as nice as a good resonator from lets say the early 2000's, or are they one in the same? Any comments are appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

On a Fanuc resonator, the cut quality will be better on newer resonators. They have made a lot of improvements over the years to the beam quality and stability resulting in smoother cuts on the most recent resonators. On the machine builder side (at least LVD as that’s my experience), improvements have also been made to get better cut quality (new application features, new parameters, better beam delivery system, higher speeds, ...).
That being said, you can still get a good cut on an old and well maintained machine.
I cannot comment for other resonator manufacturers or machine builders, but I would assume similar improvements have been made over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back