Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Laser- Your Opinion Counts!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

QSF

Industrial
Jan 10, 2003
US
We are presently using a mazak stx510 with a 1500 watt resonator. We are planning on purchasing a new laser with a 5'x10' bed and at least a 3000 watt resonator. We primarily cut only flat sheet metal, so we only need a 2 axis laser. I would like to have your feedback on machines that you have used as far as:
Cost of the machine, frequency of maintenance, cost of consumables, is the software for that particular machine (if purchased with the machine-example: Amada software with Amada laser) user friendly and stable. (We have had quite a bit of trouble with the stability of our code-generating software we are presently using.)
Are you overall satisified with your purchase???

Gary L. Ellis Jr.
Quality Steel Fabrication
Sidney, OH

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look at Amada's Gemini 3015 for the smallest footprint for machines in its class as well as their laser software (AlphaCAM).

Fanuc Laser, Control, and drives plus Amada reliability makes this machine one of the best in its class and best of all SUPPORT.

Shop around as well. Trumpf, Bystronics, Cincinnati, Mitsubishi, Mazak. I believe Amada is the Lexus of the industry.

Hi Gary,

We run a 2kw Mazak Laser, and I for one think it is a very good machine. The software sucks, but I have replaced that with SigmaNest software which I highly recommend and other than that we have had very little trouble with it. It is now close to 12000 hrs and we are just looking now at doing a resonator service. Not Bad.
The backup and service for mazak is not very good, which is a shame because it distacts from an otherwise very good machine.
Maybe have a look at the new Mazak 4Kw and see what you think.

Regards
Dale Lupi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back