Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Layers Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrittToolEngineer

Aerospace
Aug 4, 2016
US
Greetings,

I just imported a parasolid into a file, a file that already has a company's title block set up, and I've not ever used this file. One of the first things that I do in designing, is start managing layers. I'm designing a fixture to machine this part. I put the parasolid model on its own layer and I designed a base plate and put that on its layer. When I go to turn the layer off, the part is no longer selectable, but it still appears. Normally, when I put things on their own layer and turn on or off, the actual geometry turns on and off as well. Is this a setting that I need to find?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Brent

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Brent,

Go to "Format" click the "Layer Visible in View" and Click the "Reset to Global" Now you could be able to see all the parts.

Regards
GurusamuelT

Ok, the issue just popped back up. I am continuing to add details to the design, and once again, I cannot turn layers on and off and the geometry on those layers disappear when turned off. I went to Layer Visible In View and clicked the Reset To Global, and I'm back to the same issue.

Once I do click the Reset To Global and click Ok, then the Layer Visible In View appears. All layers have the word Visible next to it. Should this be the case?

Just got help figuring this out. The file had a custom ActiveX view created, and that was the view that was active. So I was instructed to go to View, Layout, Replace View, then if you click a different view, in my case, I clicked Top View, then OK. This resets back to normal.

Thanks,

When you reset to global, DON'T click OK but click CANCEL.
Clicking OK just resets the layer visibility to whatever the current settings are and saves those settings (often a vicious circle) but clicking cancel keeps the reset but doesn't save the current settings.

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back