New Machine Analysis 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaizad

Mechanical
Dec 9, 2004
US
Hi,

We are interested in purchasing a 5 axis machine from a manufacturer in Europe. For that purpose, few trials are to be done in order to ascertain suitability of the machine for our application. I would like any ideas on what are the critical areas that need to be looked at for example, machine rigidity, spindle rigidity, machine envelope etc...any other parameters??

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, three, more important than any you mentioned:
- Availablity of replacement parts.
- Availability of a technician who knows how to replace those parts without screwing up something else. This should actually be number one on your list. You need to go beyond just finding a company that thinks it services your brand; you need to identify a specific individual.
- Availability of a second qualified technician, in case your first choice dies, quits, or is helping someone else.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

"The proof of the pudding is in the tasting."

You should design a part for trial that would challenge the performance of the machine, machine it, and measure it. Speeds, feeds, tool changes, chatter marks, surface finish, burr conditions after cuts, high-traverse conplex compound cuts, chip evacuation, setup access, programming ease-of-use,...whatever. Mercilessly kick the tires.

I recall my former boss in a hurry to purchase some multi-spindle CNC lathes...he was ego-driven and thought he was gonna look like a rockstar. The quality engineer assigned to the project vetoed it after initial trials. Boss flipped out until the QE showed him the X-bar-R charts showing bad machine capability in short- & long term runs.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

Can you do a statistical comparison of like parts and dimensions, the new machine should show where it stands if enough like parts are tested.

If you trace the loads through machine you, or the supplier, should be able to see/show the size of the load bearing components, which you can compare to your current machine components.

===================================
Forging -------------------------------------------------
Ddraig Breuddwydia....

I think most important item is to find the metric stuff such as screws or other simple things. A simple stupid srew can stop your machine in future. Careful

Make sure you keep in mind the Voice of customer-VOC. To be interested in purchsing is one thing, a need is another. Do you really need a 5 axis machine? In helping me with new capital projects, I try to clearly define what is needed; then I review and measure my current state; analyse my current state(to determine if I can achieve VOC with existing capital); then bridge the gap between my current and future state(VOC); eles purchase the new capital. With runoff to validate VOC- which could be machine rigidity, spindle rigidity, machine envelope etc...any other parameters you define and trials only when developing new concepts.

Hi Kaizad,

Assuming you already know the size of parts / range of parts you want to machine (machining envelope), there are many other variables you need to look at.
Example:
5-axis can be achieved by utilising a CNC head (Z-axis, C-axis, W-axis) plus the other (linear) axes, or by a Z-axis plus X- and Y-axes (all linear) plus an A-axis and a B-axis, just to mention a couple of variants.

Also, do you want/ need a vertical spindle - or do you want a horizontal spindle (access to part, to tool, swarf disposal, etc)?
Also, do you want to automatically exchange parts - or manually? Same with tool changing - do you want to exchange 10 tools or 50?
Will you be machining Aluminum or Titanium?
Will you be finishing parts or roughing off stock of 5mm or more? There are several high-quality manufacturers who would be able to meet your needs, but first we need to understand these.

Give me some some details of what you want to do and I will try to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back