Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New management position

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJKinMaine

Industrial
Aug 18, 2004
US
I have recently been given a position in management where I will be responsible for initiating a plan to reward other managers for their efforts. First, how do I implement a program without being excessive for my own wants, and secondly, does superiority play a role? Managers receive a bonus quarterly and I just want to be fair to everyone. I would sincerely appreciate your input.

Respectfully,

DJKinMaine

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm in a similar situation, being new to managment and being tasked to develop a "bonus" award system for my team. The company won't provide pay raises, but if I can develope a reasonable bonus program, it will be considered.

I would think the first thing you have to do is identify the criteria for reward. Each manager probably has (or should have) specific goals they are to achieve for the year. Use this as a benchmark, then see how successfully they reach those goals, scale rewards accordingly.

Ray Reynolds
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

An employee who does not have thier inner needs met, will venture off to find them.
An employee who is asked to fullfill the companies needs, whilst thier own are not being met, will abandon thier skills.
An employee who is told to perform for the betterment of the company, without realizing personal growth will retaliate in unexpected ways.

Companies, management, must realize that personal growth afforded an employee will result in amazing returns. The wonderful synergies that can occur typically happen when the individuals of the group embark upon a journey of self improvement.

Bonuses mean nothing if your personal growth is stagnant. Handshakes and titles only offend those that haven't been given equal opportunity.

The key members of your team must enter into a pact, that you/they will enter into a program of personal growth. Because only from within can you give to others. They're reward?, that you keep your word that the pact stays alive. Your objectives?, to give to them the resources for improvement, so that they can give back to you as a measure of thier improvement.

Stephen Covey's 7 habits, accept them as your guide to give to others. You will not be refused at any level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back