Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New refrigerants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enginesrus

Mechanical
Aug 30, 2003
US
Since soon the average person will not be able to purchase refrigerant to refill their car ac unit, are there any new refrigerants up and coming to fix this problem?
How difficult would it be to use Co2? Pressures ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

enginesrus said:
How difficult would it be to use Co2?

Given that the collective auto industry tried and failed to switch to CO[sub]2[/sub] as a refrigerant I guess it would be pretty hard for the "average person".

On the other hand, my home's domestic hot water is generated with a commercial heat pump that uses CO[sub]2[/sub] as the heat transfer fluid.

If you are an "average person" you are not qualified and don't have the equipment. You should not work on your AC. If you need to refill it, you have a leak that needs to be fixed.

For any given AC system you need to use what it was designed for. Any new car will use whatever the new refrigerant is... I don't think this is a deciding factor for many car shoppers and I suspect most manufacturers will use the same depending on how old their design is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back