Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Residential Foundation Wall - Out of Plumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

StructuralEskimo

Structural
Mar 16, 2011
CA
Hi Guys,
Newly poured residential foundation wall (9ft high) was poured out of plumb between 1" and 3" over about 25ft (leaning into the house) due to poor workmanship. House is about to be framed, joists rest on wall...so in this case they would overhang/cantilever. I think I can get the numbers to work as the 4" portion is immediately at a corner so there some additional strength...however the owner may still want replaced for interior fit up and aesthetics.

Two questions:
1. If replacing the section of wall (approximately 20ft of wall), I was thinking of saw cutting vertically, installing water stop and dowels into adjacent wall and re-pouring. Any other considerations?
2. If filling in the void on the exterior, what would actually stick and survive winter cycles. I was considering an epoxy product to build out to plumb. Mainly for aesthetics.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Before you begin tearing down, I would make sure the additional P delta effect from the out of plumb is a problem. You may be able to justify the wall this way, and keep the project moving, especially if the wall will not be exposed and the aesthetics of the plumbness can be masked. Something you may want to consider and discuss with the owner before tearing down.

Not that you're on the contractor's side, but helping them will help the owner in the end. I see contractor's just make up their mistakes by fluffing a change order, which the owner pays for their mistake in the end.

food for thought.

And if TDI's approach doesn't work, consider having them chip away the wall after cutting it to provide a better bond between concrete surfaces.

PE, SE
Eastern United States

"If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death!"
~Code of Hammurabi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back