Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New SE user; How can I autofill some bom details into excel? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodyscolts

Mechanical
Sep 23, 2009
US
Our shop uses an excel form that includes the item number, quanity and material along with alot of other columns that they fill out for routing the machining. Can we have SE at least populate the first three columns for them?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes.

At least a couple of ways in fact. Are you using any kind of PDM system as this may change things a little or add extra ways.

The way I usually do it (V19) is left mouse click on the assy in Windows Explorer and select reports. You can also get to here from an open assy by going to tools, reports.

Once here it should be fairly self explanatory, play around with it a little. There are several options which have some built in standard columns but you can add or remove columns for pretty much any file property.

When you've got all the columns you want, go to save as. Sadly it doesn't have excell as a file type you can save as but, by saying save as .txt and then changing the file extension to xls before you actually save you can get it out in an excel sheet.

It will act a little funny the first time you open & save it but should be fine.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

No, we do not use any PDM system. And for whatever reason my company has let SE in the draft document determine what the detail numbers will be by using the item number on the BOM, so I need the bom with the item numbers from the draft document.

Which the technique I give above will do for you so long as your item numbers are dynamically fed from the parts list.

How do you dynamically feed this info from the parts list? Because I tried your suggestion and it does not allow you to add the item numbers as a column in the report.

The first screen that pops up try selecting parts list instead of BOM.

I don't know exactly what your set up is, what you want, what file properties you use etc so I can't give you a step by step.

Like I said, play around with it.

Regardless of any setup or file properties we use, all I want to do is: in the assembly draft document lets say I have the sort item number starting at 201 and continueing from there, I want to get that with the quanity and material into excel. The quanity and material is easy, but even if I pick parts list in the report in the model it starts at 1 and does not allow changing.

This goes back to my point of "so long as your item numbers are dynamically fed from the parts list" are you manually changing item numbers or something on the drawing?

No nothing on the item numbers on the parts list has been manually changed on the drawing. But you can automatically sort in the parts list beginning with whatever number you want. If you have sub-aasemblies you do not always want to start with item number 1, which is why they giveyou the option to start at any number you want. This is an automatic change in the parts list command, not a manual change of the numbers, so I still do not understand what "so long as your item numbers are dynamically fed from the parts list", means.

Hmm, in that case I'm not sure what's going on. I'm surprised you can't get it to work. What version are you on?

Maybe someone else on here can help.

Hi,

you can create a partslist within the draft. Then RMB into
the partslist and select 'Copy Contents'. In Excel just
do CTRL-V or RMB into a cell -- Paste

The item numbers shown within the draft's PartList are stored
within the draft *not* within the underlying part

dy

donyoung, thank you this works, but do you know if you can somehow limk the two files so if changes are made you would not have to cut and paste?

unfortunately that isn't possible. The copied parts list
is non associative. To have that one has to do some
programming.

dy

doh, I vaguely recall someone showing that before. I've always done the report way due to formatting issues. Well done Don.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back