Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

New Technology... Holographic direct sound printing

WKTaylor

Sep 24, 2001
US
This made me dizzy trying to envision the process...

Holographic direct sound printing could make polymer additive manufacturing 20x faster

Acoustic holograms cause extremely rapid polymerization by inducing regional cavitation bubbles.

A novel method of 3D printing that uses acoustic holograms could yield an order-of-magnitude improvement in polymerization-based additive manufacturing (AM). According to researchers at Concordia University, the new approach is both quicker than existing methods and capable of making more complex objects.

The process, called holographic direct sound printing (HDSP) builds on a method introduced in 2022 that described how sonochemical reactions in microscopic cavitations regions create extremely high temperatures and pressure for trillionths of a second to harden resin into complex patterns.

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

The subject paper can be found here

The Supplementary Materials under Associated Data shows a bunch of videos of them growing material, but it looks like they are still a ways off from getting the level of detail and accuracy needed to build useful objects.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Back