Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to CAD. Please help 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvcrogers

Electrical
May 15, 2003
US
I have only been CAD drafting a VERY short time and I am having some troubles.
I am using AutoCad 2002 and I am trying to get all of my text and dimensions to end up being 1/8th" in the real world once plotted(no matter what scale I need to plot to).
How should I go about this? Does this need to be done in model space or paper space?

Thanks in advance

D Rogers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Two ways to get 1/8" text:
1. Figure out what scale to plot at -- depends on paper size and the overall size of your drawing as to what scale will "Fit" your paper. Say you come up with 1"=20'. So you multiply 1/8" by 20. (0.125" x 20 = 2.5) Draw your text at 2.5 units height.
2. Figure out what scale, as above. In Mspace do Zoom 1/20xp (for 20 scale). Switch to Pspace and draw your text at 1/8" height.

Cheers, Rocky

Paper Space is the place to set your text size. Use the "Dimention Style" , "Modify". then go to the "Text" tab,
set text height to "0.125".
note: be sure Dimscale is set to 1.0000

If you are using different viewports set at different scale, the text heights for each will turn out different. You may have to set up different dimension styles for each scale...again you will need to be aware of the end scale to do this.

How about placing all of the text in Paper space, therefore maintaining a constant 1/8" Height? This concept would help in the future if you ever change to a 3D software like Inventor or Mechanical Desktop where you are not able to bring text into the drawing view from the model.

jkgdesign has it right. Use model space for the object and paper space for everything else. I have standardized this for our company and it works flawlessly. Set Dimassoc to 2 and you can "snap" to model space objects in paper space. There are no text height issues.

If I am to use the "paperspace" method mentioned above, how do I handle changes to the drawing once the text and dim. have be laid on paperspace? Do I just go back in and move the dim. and text to suit the changes?

I believe it depends how you modify your part drawings. In 2002 if you stretch or trim a line in model space the dimension in paper space, the dimension will be updated, if you are replacing geometry, I think you have to place new dimensions, or stretch the existing dimension to fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back