Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Marine Design - Suggested Standards to Purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowTied

Mechanical
Dec 4, 2002
CA
Hello:

My company is in the business of water treament equipment (OEM). We have traditionally been in the industrial/commercial business sectors. We are now looking at designing ballast water treatment equipment for installation on board ocean-going cargo ships. This is completely new to my team and I am looking to create a list of standards that apply to this market for the design constraints. I am specifically interested in mechanical piping, electrical/mechanical equipment/devices, corrosion control. The intent is to provide this equipment globally to ship builders/owners.

I did a search and found ISO 14726 and possibly ASTMF1155.

The forum's FAQ recommends these books:
"Rules for Building and Classing Steel Vessels, Part 4", American Bureau of Shipping & "Modern Marine Engineer's Manual, Volumes I & II", Osbourne, Cornell Maritime Press, Inc.

Any tips or direction or list of standards we should consider would be greatly apperciated.
Ron

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Lots of opportunities may exist for water makers.

Sea water is used for ballast. I think that tules require occasional ballast tank exchange with fresh sea water to eliminate transporting biological critters into new waters. Hypochlorite is injected as needed at the water intake. I am not aware of sea water treatment for ballast.

For electrical items I would suggest IEEE Std 45, Recommended Practice for Electric Installations on Shipboard. It lists suggestions for materials and tests etc for various pieces of equipment, and you may find many purchasing specs listing the suggestions as requirements.

Thanks for the responses.

I have been doing on-line searches, wow, there are a lot of standards out there!!!

Specifically, please point me to marine codes for piping and pipe mounted equipment as it pertains to ballasting/deballasting in fresh and seawater cargo ships and tankers.

Thanks so much.

ASTM F1155 is a good one for piping material selection, F998 for centrifugal pumps, and F1510 for positive displacement pumps. ABS will have the most guidance, but may be more generic to piping systems than specifically to ballast systems.

Not sure where you are based but different classification societies will/may have different requirements.

Try Lloyds Register as a UK standard and you can't go wrong.

A really good place to start would be to contact American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) and/or Det Norske Veritas (DNV). These are two of the big firms for standards regarding vessels. Often times when starting a new major project we will meet with whichever firm is going to be the certifying authority on the design. They then point out the primary standards that will apply to the design. Then read these standards several times as they will often cross reference other standards that you will need to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back